VickneshManiam.Blogspot

" What we are today is result of our own past actions ;



Whatever we wish to be in future depends on our present actions;



Decide how you have to act now.



We are responsible for what we are , whatever we wish ourselves to be .



We have the power to make ourselves.


Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lead right !

Make sure they have the “tools” they need.

Imagine this scenario: We’re out in the middle of a field. I’m the supervisor and I give you an assignment to dig a trench. After explaining why the trench is necessary, I give you the go-ahead to start digging. You immediately inquire, “Where’s the back hoe?” I respond, “It’s in the shop.” You then ask, “So how am I supposed to dig this trench?” I hand you a shovel, and then I leave. I return two hours later and find that you haven’t made much progress. You’re tired and frustrated … and I’m ticked off.

A far-fetched story? Maybe so! But it does make a simple and important point: it’s tough for people to do a good job – to do their best work – when they don’t have the “tools” (resources) they need. That’s something your team members may be facing more often than you think. And as a leader, you need to do your best to do something about it.

Ask yourself, What do my people need in order to meet or exceed my expectations? Better yet, ASK THEM! Maybe it’s a new piece of equipment – or the fixing/updating of an existing one. Perhaps it’s a new software program, additional training, or an expanded supplies inventory. Or it could be that what they really need is more time, more help, or more information.

Whatever your team needs, get it for them. And if you can’t, tell them why, look for other ways to support their efforts, and appreciate the fact that many of their achievements are happening in spite of how they are equipped rather than because of it.

No comments:

WEB SEARCH

Google