VickneshManiam.Blogspot

" What we are today is result of our own past actions ;



Whatever we wish to be in future depends on our present actions;



Decide how you have to act now.



We are responsible for what we are , whatever we wish ourselves to be .



We have the power to make ourselves.


Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Leaders in crisis times

The other day, I was reading the online Fortune magazine and I came upon an interview the magazine did with Michael Collins (the writer of 'Good to Great' and 'Built to Last') in regards the current economic crisis. One particular phrase caught my eye, when he said, "People who take credit in good times and blame external forces in bad times do not deserve to lead". I could not help but smile wryly at the situation as I agree wholeheartedly with the statement.

Leaders take responsibility both in good as well as bad times!

Every day, when I read the papers and magazines, I see many so called 'leaders in the corporate world' blaming the current economic crisis for all their organisation's woes. Let me make one thing clear from the start and that is I do not deny that the economic situation has affected business especially in certain industries.

However my point is, 'Isn't it the job of senior management to prepare for bad times during good times and to prepare for good times when times are bad"? And if they want to take credit during good economic times when sales were soaring, surely they should also take responsibility when the negative economy affects company's performance?

The bottom line is 'Leaders should take responsibility both in good as well as bad times'. That's why they were put into that position in the first place. The time now is not to play the blame game or to moan and groan, but to go about tackling the problem effectively and efficiently.

My view is that in good times 'anybody' can be the CEO of an organization. It is in bad times that we see their true mettle. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I do hope all of you will have a great month ahead. Take care!

No comments:

WEB SEARCH

Google